Who here ended 2020 with a lot of certificates, improved cooking skills, unlimited webinars learning, along with increased weight? Or are you normal?
Just Kidding! If you gained weight and want to learn how to lose weight at home, then I am here to help you.
2020 turned things around for most of us and while we were in lockdown and learning to cook restaurant-style dishes to impress our friends and relatives on social media, we did end up adding a few kg to our weight. Well, that was certainly the case with me.
While my Instagram looked picture perfect with all those pretty food pictures, I wasn’t happy with what I saw in the mirror. Trying to find a way to lose weight at home, I came across the Institute of Nutrition and Fitness Sciences (INFS), enrolled under them, and completed my foundation and expert studies to become a certified Nutrition and Fitness Consultant.
I have been where you are and I know how that I feel, that’s why I would like to guide you in the best way possible for you to lose weight at home, easily and safely.
No gym, no restrictive diet, no fasting, no running but still losing weight… most importantly, losing that stored fat. And that too, just by applying science.
Sounds too good to be true?
It is! No fluff, I promise.
Now I am not saying that you wouldn’t have to do any exercise and will lose weight while sitting on a couch and binging on chips, popcorn and ice cream. It will need some work and patience but if you do that, you will start seeing the results within weeks.
Let’s understand how you can lose weight at home:
- Calorie Deficit: First thing first, if you want to lose weight, you have to eat fewer calories than you burn throughout the day. Now imagine if you burn around 1800 calories throughout the day and eat 1600 calories, you will lose weight. Now how do you know how many calories do you burn in a day? That’s easy… just google TDEE calculator, fill in your details and the resulting number will be your today daily energy expenditure. Now start with eating 200-300 calories per day to start seeing results. You can learn more about nutrition and its importance. I have already written a blog on the same, which you can read here.
- Protein Intake: Increase your protein intake to 1-1.5 grams per kg body weight. Protein not only helps with muscle building and recovery but also keeps you satiated for longer. So if you are consuming around 1500 calories, try to get around 400 calories (25-30%) from protein. The rest of the remaining calories can be divided between fats and carbohydrates. Protein can be found in items like paneer, cheese, milk, whey protein, egg whites, pulses, soya, tofu, chicken, fish, and more
- Resistance training: Now whether you want to lose weight with exercise, or not, adding resistance training 3-5 times per week will help you build lean muscle mass, while in turn help you with your metabolism so that your body will burn more calories even when at rest. Resistance training will also ensure that you look more toned and gain strength over time. If you are wondering how you can do resistance training at home, since we are talking about losing weight at home, then don’t worry. Now if you want to lose weight at home without equipment, then you can perform a lot of exercise with just your body weight itself. Do add squats, lunges, planks, push-ups, etc in your routine, to start seeing results quicker. You can even check out calisthenics, and you will be amazed by the results you can achieve with just training with your body.
- Sleep: When most people think about losing weight, they completely miss this step. Sleep is important for your body and mind to recover. Lack of sleep also increases your hunger hormones. You might have even experienced it yourself. Next time, when you are running on lack of sleep, watch what you eat and you will understand the difference.
- Cardio: There are a lot of discussions and debates around whether you should do fasted cardio for fat loss, or you should do just cardio or don’t do cardio at all. While I am not getting into myth-busting about cardio in this article, I would like to highlight the fact that you burn calories while doing cardio and in turn increase your energy expenditure and result in faster weight loss
Q&A time to clear your doubts about weight loss at home:
How to lose weight at home in 7 days?
Now that depends on how much weight you wish to lose. You can follow the 5 steps mentioned above and lose up to 500 grams to a kg weight in a week itself, but if you wish to see results in the long run, staying consistent and giving the plan at least 12 weeks time to see better results are always advisable.
How to lose weight at home fast and without exercise?
You will lose weight just by being on a calorie deficit, even if you don’t exercise at all. But if your goal just to reduce the number on the weighing scale or actually get a toned and ripped physique? If you choose the latter, then you should definitely include some form of exercise.
How do you speed up weight loss?
We need to understand weight loss and fat loss are two different things. You can lose weight if you lose water weight or muscles, but that’s not the ideal situation. What’s the point of speeding up your weight loss by following some fads that aren’t sustainable. You will be able to lose weight fast, but you will also end up gaining the same equally fast once you go back to your same old routine and habits. Choose slow but sustainable over fast but harmful in the long run.
How long does it take to get a flat tummy?
Just like no two people are the same, the duration to get the results wouldn’t be the same either. When understanding the time, you also have to consider what body fat percentage you currently are at. Imagine someone with only 18% body fat and someone with 52%, now do you think both of them will take the same about of time to achieve a flat tummy? The answer is no, but if you are on a decent body fat percentage already, you can expect to see results in 12-24 weeks with proper diet and training in place.
Will I lose weight if I stop eating for 3 days?
The simple answer is yes, you will. But should you? The answer is no. Don’t do it. Follow the above steps and opt for a much more sustainable weight loss, over unhealthy ways that will do more harm than good for your body
How can I get slim without exercise?
I have answered a similar question above as well, but understand that it’s not impossible to get slim without exercise but with exercise, you will get a more toned physique. So if you want a better physique, include exercise. If you just want to lose weight and get slim, follow a calorie deficit diet
How to lose weight at home with exercise?
If you wish to do exercise at home, you will find plenty of videos on YouTube for the same. Just a good rule of thumb, follow the same set of routines consistently to see progress. If you keep changing your workout every day, you might find it difficult. If you need more help with the same, you can write to me at andbeactive.com
Hope you find the above helpful to start your weight loss at home plan. All this would pretty much cost you nothing and the result will speak for itself. If you like to track your calories, you can download My Fitness Pal and see how many calories you consume in a day and if you are maintaining your weight at the same calories and wish to lose weight, then start eating fewer calories.
You can even prepare your own diet chart with the help of Fittr app or you can google the nutritional information of particular food, say like fruits and vegetables, and include that in your plan. For packaged food, you can find the nutritional information label at the back. Please pay attention to the serving size, along with the macros – Protein, Carbs, and Fats.
Do drink plenty of water, reduce stress, increase your fiber intake, remove alcohol and cigarettes from your routine and you will see your health improve overtime.
Let me know in comment section if the above tips helped you with your weight loss at home or if you would like to know more details about anything in particular. I will be happy to assist you to achieve your desired results.
If you are interested in more about calories deficit diet for weight loss, you can check it out here.
You can even DM me your questions on Instagram at andbeactive
Until next time, eat healthy, drink health… and be ACTIVE.